Newry bow out of Irish Cup!

Newry City’s Irish Cup run came to an end on Saturday at a cold and blustery Larne when they were beaten 4-1 by Amateur League side Crumlin Star. The Newry side started the game slowly and were caught cold inside five minutes when a Newry attack broke down inside the Crumlin half and the home team broke at speed with five quick passes moving play into the Newry box before the ball was slotted into the net to put Crumlin one goal up.

The rest of the half was much more even with both teams having their share of possession without really threatening to score.

Newry started the second half much better than the first and almost equalized straight from the kick off with Chris McMahon and Graeme Edgar combining to release Niall Crilly who’s wind aided cross come shot had the Star keeper in all sorts of trouble as he stretched to fingertip the ball onto the cross bar, the rebound falling to a defender to clear.

Newry were now on the ascendancy and Crilly was again involved in Newry’s second good chance of the half when he found Jimmy Walker in space just outside the Crumlin box. Walker rolled his pass to centre forward Mark Patton who with his back to goal back heeled a defence splitting pass to Walker who had continued his run and now had only the home keeper to beat. Unfortunately Walkers low shot crashed into the keepers legs and rebounded to safety.

It was now Crumlin’s turn to regroup and this they did in style with two quick goals, the second of which was scored by Newry City’s ex Irish League player Francis Murphy, to put the home team 3-0 up.

Newry refused throw in the towel with manager Darren Mullen making substitutions to add some new impetus. This bore dividends within minutes when two of those newly added players combined to put Newry back in the game. Ian Curran found Neil Barr with a long throw in. Barr controlled the ball with his back to goal before spinning and unleashing a dipping shot from 25 yards out which flew into the top corner of the Crumlin net before the keeper had moved. Newry’s attempt at a comeback nearly got better two minutes later when the Crumlin keeper had to dive full length to the base of his post to save a shot from McMahon. However any hopes of a comeback were extinguished with five minutes left when Murphy’s second goal restored Crumlin’s three goal advantage which was more than a little harsh on Newry who competed well throughout with their more experienced opponents.

Newry City AFC Man of the Match: Mark Patton

Newry resume their league campaign on Saturday 14th December away to Laurelvale at 2pm. Newry City AFC Travel Club bus will be departing from the Stonebridge at 1pm sharp, all are welcome!.

Newry City AFC Team: Murphy, Crilly, Anderson, Annett, McCaul, Edgar, McMahon, McElroy, Patton, Walker, Lundy. Subs: Curran, Martin, Barr, Campbell, Thompson, McVicker.