Recent Newry U14 Match Reports

by Colm Murphy, Newry City U14 Manager

Newry City 3 – 3 Tullvallan, 22nd April 2015 (League)

After a break in fixtures, Newry got back to league action against Tullyvallen. It was a quiet first half but with some entertaining football from both teams. Newry took lead just before half time with a well worked goal slotted home by Sean Mc Conville.

The second half was a totally different game with Tullyvallen creating many changes and they leveled shortly after the restart with a fine worked goal to make it 1-1. Newry fell asleep and Tullyvallen added a second, but worse was to come when the away side went 3 – 1 up against a very flat footed Newry defence.

Newry realised they were in a game and started to produce some excellent football. They grabbed a goal back after a fine shot from Nathan Crudden. The home team kept pressing but Tullyvallan were not going to give up easily and with almost the last attack of the match Newry equalised from a corner with a top class finish to the net by Joseph Connolly. A point gained is better than three lost!! Credit due to Tullyvallan for a great performance but also to Newry for fighting back and earning a draw.

Newry City 4 – 2 Ballybot Celtic, May 6th 2015 (U14 Divisional Cup)

Newry had home advantage against close rivals Ballybot in this quarter final cup match. The two top teams coming up against each other was always going to be a close match and so it was, with some fine attacking football right from the outset. Ballybot made the first breakthrough with a rasping shot that gave the Newry ‘keeper no chance. To their credit Newry never give up and just before half-time they levelled after Sean McConville hit a low shot past the Ballybot ‘keeper.

The second half started much the same as the first with both teams attacking and again Ballybot took the lead. This sprung Newry into second gear and the team played some of their best football this year with some fine passing and interplay eventually ending up with an equalising goal from Tiernan Reilly. They didn’t stop there and again after some fine play, they took the lead when Shea Morgan got on the end of great pass from Tiarnan Murphy to put Newry in the lead for the first time. Ballybot, to their credit, never give up and it was end to end play from both teams but Newry finally killed the game off when Shea Morgan got free from his marker to get on the end of a loose pass and shot to the roof of the net to make it 4-2 to Newry. Game over.

It has to be said that this was a fine display from both teams and a great advert for underage football in the Carnbane League. Someone has to lose in a cup match and this time it was Ballybot but credit due to both teams for an excellent game of football. Newry now play Camlough Rovers in a local derby for a place in the cup final. Thanks to all parents for your support and I urge all Newry supporters to come out and give this young team your support at Jennings Park on Saturday morning, May 23rd. Kick off is at 10 am.

Newry City 4 – 1 Barcroft, May 13th 2015 (League)

Last Wednesday night saw Newry play their last away game when Barcroft were hosts at the Carnbane Complex. Newry fielded an under-strength team but kept themselves in the match until near half time. Barcroft took the lead after fine play on the right wing saw the ball end at the foot of their striker who made no mistake.

Newry regrouped at half-time and after a few positional changes started to play better football but were reduced to 10 men after a mistimed tackle by one of their defenders. This didn’t deter this young team and they played some fine attacking football and equalised through a penalty from Sean Mc Conville. Right from the restart Newry went on the attack again and after some fine play, Tiarnan Murphy weaved his way around a few defenders and scored Newry’s second. This stunned Barcroft and soon afterwards Joe Connolly scored a third which was quickly added to from a free kick by Tiarnan Murphy – to get his second of the game. This was an excellent second half performance by the team as a whole and while goal scorers gather most of the credit, it has to go down as a fine team effort, especially after going down to 10 men.

Again thanks to all the parents for your support. Our next match is at home game against Killowen Celtic on Wednesday May 20th followed by our Cup Semi-final against Camlough Rovers on Saturday, May 23rd, 10am at Jennings park.