Hughes spot on as Newry defeat Swifts

Two Stephen Hughes penalties saw Newry City claim their first win of the season with victory over Dungannon Swifts at The Showgrounds.
The Swifts squandered a gilt-edged opportunity to open the scoring midway through the first half when Daniel Hughes was upended by Darren King. Hughes took the subsequent spot-kick himself but City keeper Andy Coleman correctly dived low to his right to make the save.
Ally Teggart then came close soon after for Dungannon but could only pull his effort wide while, just after the half-hour mark, Kris Lowe was denied by another Coleman stop.
At the other end Mark McCabe crafted Newry’s first effort of note with a ball just over the bar.
Douglas Wilson might have opened the scoring for the Swifts early in the second half with two efforts at goal during a goalmouth scramble before the Newry defence took control.
The deadlock was almost broken just after the hour when Swifts keeper Alex Moore pulled off a great save to deny Stephen Hughes.
However, Hughes soon hit back with two successfully converted spot-kicks in five minutes.
His first, on 67 minutes, was awarded following a Jarlath O’Rourke push on Declan Carville. He then doubled Newry’s lead after Carville was again impeded, this time by Jake Dykes.
Despite pushing hard to salvage something from the game Dungannon could only point to a late O’Rourke strike from the edge of the area by way of consolation.

BBC Sport NI coverage:

Newry City: Coleman, Mooney, King, Noonan, Boyle, McCann, Carville, McCabe, S. Hughes, M. Hughes, Teggart subs Maguire (not used), Lavery (replaced Teggart 81), Johnston (replaced S. Hughes 85), Delaney (not used), Montgomery (replaced Carville 84), McArdle (not used), Healy (not used)
Dungannon Swifts: Moore, Dykes, Wilson, Armstrong, Hughes, McMullan, Harpur, Teggart, O’Rourke, Lowe, Coyle subs Addis (not used), McElroy (replaced McMullan 70), Patton (replaced Teggart 70), Soares (not used), Burke (not used), McAllister (not used), Campbell (replaced Armstrong 59)